Buns on Buns

Welcome to 21 Shanghai House!
Who doesn't love dumplings!? But where can you find those hot, juicy buns or fluffy yet crispy buns? Located in the heart of Chinatown, there is a fairly new and authentic Shanghai restaurant that serves DELICIOUS and original Chinese cuisines! Plus, this place has not yet been invaded by loads of tourists! When we walked in, we noticed that it's swarmed with local Chinatown residents, which is a good sign that this is a tasty and reliable place!
Pan Fried Pork Buns ($2.75)

























































































































Pan fried pork buns is Flora's all-time favorite! We had great expectations, and the buns were indeed very satisfying! The first bite into the buns was pure happiness. The outside was soft, crispy, and fluffy. The meat was luscious, juicy, and flavorful. It was definitely good quality!
Steamed Pork Buns ($5.95)
There are two ways of eating soup buns: the right way or the wrong way! The right is to carefully pick up a bun and place it onto your spoon; then bite a little hole into the dough. The bun contains a pocket of soup for you to drink or suck out. Mmmh, it's delicious! That sip of hot, meaty-flavorful soup just awakens your taste buds! You can then devour the whole bun with no mercy. Here's the wrong way, or rather several, wrong ways, which I hope none would ever happen to you. One, bursting the dough and letting all the delicious soup spill out before placing it onto your spoon; two, eating the entire bun at ONCE - it will burn your mouth (so don't do that); and three, doing anything but the right way.
Steamed Pork and Crab Buns ($6.95)
Both the original pork and pork and crab buns were PURE JOY! We could tell the buns came straight from the steamer with rapid steam spiraling into the air and our nose, which immediately made our mouth water. First bite into the crab soup dumpling was magical. The soup burst into my mouth with extreme flavors and freshness, which I later found out that I burned my mouth. Don't be too eager; even though, we know you are very excited! Also, the dough was thin and absorbed the juicy flavors of the meat.
Sweet and Sour Pork Ribs ($15.50)
The taste of the sweet and sour pork ribs was nothing but appetizing and mouth-watering. The precise balance of soy sauce, sugar, and vinegar was on point and well-mixed creating a great satisfaction on our palettes and leading us to one piece to another piece.
Rice Cake w. Shredded Pork and Preserved Veggies ($6.75)
Many restaurants tend to overcook or undercook the rice cakes making them to either stick together, be mushy or be too hard. However, the rice cakes here are just right, not too hard or too soft. Very delicious! The shredded pork added flavors to the dish while the veggies complemented it with its fresh and crisp touch.
Red Bean Pancakes (FREE!)
The hard-working and dedicated 23 year-old owner, Kevin ge-ge (brother) was extremely friendly and polite with a wonderful customer-based attitude. He treated us with this special red bean pancake that is well made with a light crisp on the outside and sweet, warm red bean paste oozing out from the inside. (FYI, this red bean pancake is not found in the menu! It was special!)
What a warm and welcoming night!
We had an absolutely memorable night, not because we burned our mouth, but because of the tasty and authentic food, phenomenal service, clean ambiance, and affordable prices! In Chinese, we would sum this up as 平 靚 正!

Hit the Spot: 8/10

10 comments:

  1. This might be my favorite post to date hahaha. Made me so hungry. Also I learned the proper way to eat soup buns, no more burning my mouth. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Matina!! I'm so glad you enjoyed our post! hahaa, YAY!! Now you can teach your friends to eat soup buns the right way next time ;)

      Delete
    2. Haha! I always wait, wait, and wait until that dish is on the table for a long time. One time I was at Joe's Shanghai and my friends were like, "They are ready to eat. They aren't that hot!" I quickly jumped in only to realize that they were blistering hot still! I guess I made tourists look bad because out of my mouth it came!

      Then again, I don't like hot liquids. (yes even my coffee is iced in winter)

      Delete
    3. Haha, I'm sure you had a memorable meal of soup buns though, right?

      Delete
  2. Wow, very nice pictures! I'm so glad you guys dining in my restaurant! If you do come back please ask for me( Kevin ) and thanks for taking your time comment us on your blog and yelp! From now on, Fiona, Flora, Rachel and Dori will be my VIP! See yall soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kevin, thank you for having us and giving us a very enjoyable and memorable meal! And yes, we will definitely come back for your DELICIOUS FOOD!! =) See you soon!

      Delete
  3. This is the best post, yet! :D Keep blogging! I need to try this restaurant now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much for reading and giving us your valuable feedback! Kelcey, you're the BEST!

      Delete
  4. Will definitely have to try it out! I love that rice cake veggie dish! However, one of my favorite Shanghainese dishes is the sun jian bao! I love my carbs! Did they have the rice wine dessert there? Will put this place on my list when I make it back to NY! The xiao long bao look nice and full of soup! (-.1 for not having it lying on a bed of cabbage) Hopefully none of yours stuck and broke before they made it to the spoon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! This is a MUST try spot! Next time you should definitely come by! Joe's Shanghai was my favorite, but after this time, I think 21 Shanghai has replaced Joe's position. The soup buns were hot and juicy! The dough was thinner than Joe's and remained intact until I bit into it :)

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.